I have been writing extensively how just about anyone can do this – once you have a proper roadmap.
I’m a big dude, but I’m also pretty athletic. My trainer first told me to eat 2800 calories a day, then later backed it down to 2400. This is a lot of food when eating healthy. I want to bring my fancy charts up that I created the other day…
For roughly five months now, I’ve been busting ass – with about 2 weeks or so off right before I went to the trainer. Why did I go to a trainer? A few reasons, but what I essentially did over the first 2 months of this was run//walk myself into a broken foot from overuse and back spasms which left me unable to move for about 3-4 days and unable to work out for almost 2 weeks. I ran 14:40 in my 1 mile yesterday (fastest time in 20 years), and I really think I left a lot in the tank and could have done below 14:20. I was using a treadmill and increased the rate a little in the last .25 miles and probably could have had it higher.
But how did I get here? How did I get to my 40 pound weight loss? What is my formula…my secret?
- Better nutrition. I’m not perfect. My credo of “1 to 2 cheat meals per week” means that all but two meals are “healthy”. Every day I am hitting my calorie goals and usually within 1-2% on my macros. As the charts show above, this leads to better workouts, sleep, mood, etc
- Combination of strength training, high intensity cardio, and low intensity cardio. I used to run for 30-60 mins. Fire on the music, let the good times roll. This amount of cardio and reduced calories sort of took away a lot of my lean body mass over time. Instead, I am doing:
- strength training 2-3 times a week for 25-40 mins each time. I do more of circuit training and change it up with some muscle confusion to keep things interesting.
- 5-13 mins of high intensity cardio just before working out above. This is mostly just to gt warmed up, and has a byproduct of burning 150-200 calories.
- 15-20 mins of high intensity cardio once a week outside of working out. On a “rest day” from working out. I used to do this 4 times a week for 30-45 mins and it put a lot of stress on my feet.
- 30-45 minutes of low intensity exercise 2-3 times a week. This is walking, swimming, etc. On nicer days, maybe I’m walking for 45 minutes. On some crappy weather weeks, maybe it’s the pool 2-3 times for 30 mins of laps.
Using the above, I kind of want to give you a break down of a sample week. I use a lot of meal prep, but perhaps 50% of my meals are made fresh.
Food (2409 calories, 258g carbs, 79g fat, 184g protein, 32g fiber)
- Meal 1: Coffee, oatmeal/yogurt cup
- Meal 2: shells and meat sauce
- Meal 3: whey protein shake
- Meal 4: 12 oz chicken breasts, 8 oz yellow potatoes
- Meal 5: 1 cup plain 2% yogurt with almonds, banana, chia seeds, peanut butter, honey
30 minute walk
Food (2423 calories, 207g carbs, 85g fat, 199g protein, 31g fiber)
- Meal 1: Coffee, oatmeal/yogurt cup (peanut butter/chocolate)
- Meal 2: Oatmeal/yogurt (blueberry) cup prior to working out
- Meal 3: whey protein shake after strength workout
- Meal 4: 5 jumbo eggs, 3 strips bacon
- Meal 5: 16 oz chicken breasts, 4 cups baby spinach, 1 cup one sweet tomatoes, 8 TBSP croutons, 2 TBSP viva italian dressing
- Meal 6: apple
10 minute high intensity cardio for work out, 30 minutes of intense work out, 30 mins of laps in pool.
Food (2183 calories,195 g carbs, 94g fat, 150g protein, 22g fiber)
- Meal 1: Coffee with sugar, kashi/milk
- Meal 2: meatball sub and chips out at a work lunch. Had to estimate based on chain restaurant similar item.
- Meal 3: 16 oz chicken breast, 4 cups baby spinach, 1 cup one sweet tomatoes, 8 TBSP croutons, 2 TBSP viva italian dressing
15 minute run, 45 minutes walking
Food (2428 calories, 269 g carbs, 80g fat, 176 g protein, 47 g fiber)
- Meal 1: Coffee, kashi, milk
- Meal 2: whey protein shake
- Meal 3: 8 oz chicken breasts, 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup broccoli
- Meal 4: (snack) 1 oz cashews
- Meal 5: 2 bacon-wrapped turkey burgers with rolls, mayo, lettuce,tomato
- Meal 6: apple
Rest day. Really. Put your feet up.
Food (2440 calories, 261 g carbs, 83g fat, 181 g protein, 42 g fiber)
- Meal 1: Coffee, kashi/milk
- Meal 2: (prior to workout) Oatmeal/honey/blueberries
- Meal 3: (after workout) whey protein shake
- Meal 4: 9 oz chicken breast, peas and carrots
- Meal 5: whey protein shake
- Meal 6: Yogurt, honey, chia seeds, banana, peanut butter, almonds
10 mins cardio, work out for 30 mins, perhaps swim Friday or Saturday for 30 mins of laps
Saturday: (this was a sample from dinner for a birthday celebration, so I planned around the rest of my day)
- Meal 1: Coffee, kashi/milk
- Meal 2: 7 oz ham steak, peas and carrots
- Meal 3: shells and meat sauce, 1 slice bread,
- Meal 4: 8 oz filet mignon, salad, 2 TBSP italian dressing, 1.5 TBSP butter, 1 dinner roll
- Meal 5: (added later to boost protein) whey protein shake
Food (2360 calories, 253g carbs, 74g fat, 181 g protein, 29g fiber)
- Meal 1: Coffee, oatmeal cup (then early morning run then walk)
- Meal 2: Whey protein shake
- Meal 3: 6 extra large eggs, 3 peces bacon, 2 pieces of toast with 1 TBSP margaine
- Meal 4: 12 oz chicken breast, 2 cups broccoli, 8 oz potatoes
- Meal 5: Apple
15 minute run, 45 minute walk
Leave a Reply